Monday, March 3, 2014

Orange Curd (and Lime)

At the end of January, I discovered a recipe for microwave lemon curd that was super easy.  After that post, I experimented successfully with lime curd (simply replaced the lemons with limes in the recipe) and not quite as successfully with sugar free versions (Splenda works, but it makes a slightly grainy curd and needs more to sweeten it).

Today, I decided to try the mandarin oranges.  I zested four thoroughly.  Next time I will likely zest a lot more for extra flavor.


I squeeze the juice of a lemon (about 2 tablespoons - between 1/8 and 1/4 cup).

I then squeezed enough oranges to make 1 cup of juice.  I ended up using 12 oranges.

After that I followed the same recipe as my previous post, except I halved the sugar.

And for a bonus, this was what I ended up eating for lunch.  It's definitely not the worst lunch I've had.

Orange curd:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
2 T fresh lemon juice 
1 cup fresh orange juice
zest from 4-6 lemons 


  • Melt butter in microwave, set aside to cool slightly.
  • Whisk together sugar and eggs in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl. (I would use a large bowl so you have room to whisk - my stove top ended up being a mess)
  • Whisk in juice and zest.
  • Finally whisk in the butter.
  • Microwave on 50% power for one minute. Stir. Repeat.
  • Continue microwaving at 100% power in one minute intervals, stirring after each interval until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. The curd will thicken as it cools. (It only took me three times for it to be done).
  • Strain curd through a fine-mesh sieve to remove zest.
  • Pour curd into sterile jars and store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.
  • 2 comments:

    1. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Lemon curd is the best thing ever and your variations look amazing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love that it is now so easy for me to make now, too. Lemon is definitely my favorite.

        Delete