Sunday, June 2, 2013

Giant Dahlia skirt

Have you ever been inspired to dress your child like a court jester?  Really, the jester affect wasn't a part of my inspiration, but I let the nerdlet choose the colors.  I was inspired by a quilt top (not really a giant dahlia) whose pieces are sitting by my sewing machine currently and decided to try to make the nerdlet a skirt before the idea passed through my head never to be seen again.  I really should just start a notebook for these sorts of ideas.


This is the skirt, but it's currently in the sewing process.  I really think it would be quite lovely if the colors weren't so contrasting.  All three of the girls have been really excited about it, and I've had to reweave it a number of times today, as every time I move away from it they start playing with it.

I did take pictures of my process so far, though you probably can figure it out.





 Here I just flipped the top layer.

I'm not normally a pinner, but I had to pin the life out of this.  I'm about a third of the way sewing it, which I'm just zigzagging the edges.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I envy your sewing skills AND your patience! I can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I normally don't post my in progress work, but I did with this one because I figured it would force me to finish it.

      Delete