Monday, March 25, 2013

McCall's 2149

I'm making my first man's button down shirt.  My husband has a unique shape and I've thought about making him one for a long time, but I've always focused on the girls or myself, unless it was Renaissance Festival Costumes.  It became clear recently that none of his dress shirts fit him well at all, and our family is overdue for a group picture so I decided to make him one that I could coordinate all of our outfits with for an upcoming picture.

I chose McCall's 2149 this past week at the Hancock's pattern sale.  It' fairly simple as far as a shirt can be that is button down and has a collar.  I chose a purple seersucker from the Tutti Frutti line (don't tell him that though).  It's a cheap fabric that won't last long, but I figured that this is sort of a muslin.  I'm making a medium and graded out an extra four inches at waist level and further at the hips.  From the finished measurements the pattern gives, this should give him at least 3 inches of ease around his torso at all points and an inch of ease around his arms, but I'm a little worried at the point that I am that it will be tight around his waist and hips.  I told him that it will fit him even if I have to put him on an extreme diet.

Anyway, this is what it looks like so far and I'm pretty pleased. I'm hoping to finish it in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment